Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Fell On My Knee And Now It Is Numb

With hands full of life, planted a tree


the famous adage says: "that you are in this world must be momentous: writing a book, plant a tree and having a child." The year 2011 has been declared by the United Nations Organization as the International Year of Forests. After writing in my blog, I declare myself a writer and my stubborn struggle to help the planet breathe, I went out to sow.

That morning, illuminated by bright sunshine and plenty of sunscreen, I decided to fill my hands with that gritty dust that mixed with moisture left by the morning dew, mud filled my heart, and passion reached its highest level when you unwrapped that gift pouch in which was wrapped the beautiful mahogany.

I remember in school they taught me the important role of forests for sustainable development the planet, with an invaluable economic, sociocultural and environmental. I never imagined that these days more than 130.000 square kilometers of forest disappear every year because of deforestation. When many times it is converted to agricultural land, timber production and the creation of human settlements in areas that are limited as woods, contributing to global warming and the disappearance of large habitats and plant and animal species.

In the Dominican Republic, only 12% of over 48 thousand square kilometers of its territory is covered by woodland, with large natural reserves established for conservation.

For life and biodiversity it harbors, forests are essential. Thanks to them breathe cleaner, we provide food and water to survive, the condition of our climate in the present and future depend on the care we give them to the woods.

We still have much to do and the first thing is to raise awareness of what forests mean to our existence, identify the factors that threaten forest resources, mobilize the population, especially youth, to participate in efforts the protection of forests.

There is a reality, we will not want to starve for reforestation, but there are alternatives that can help alleviate the damage that we can build our way. Therefore, "we plant trees on the planet." Children, youth and adults, community groups, schools, NGOs, commerce and industry, farmers, governments .... reforest!

I am almost satisfied, I met two of my three "purposes" in life. And while there is land, there will be planting my life in her hands.

0 comments:

Post a Comment